[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix Bug 6428 - strtoupper doesn't work with turkish i

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Sun Oct 28 12:33:26 CET 2007

"Martin Kutschker" <martin.t.kutschker at n0spam.blackbox.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1193570132.17686.typo3-team-core at lists.netfielders.de...
> Steffen Kamper schrieb:
>> This is a SVN patch request.
>>
>> Type: Bugfix
>>
>> Bugtracker references:
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=6428
>>
>> Branches: Trunk
>>
>> Problem:
>> when using turkish language the upper-conversion of char i fails. Effect
>> is that no Markers having char i will be replaced.
>>
>> Solution:
>> Using the Markers as they are solves the problem.
>
> You code removes a strictly speaking unnecessary strtoupper() when
> creating the marker array. Is it possible for a hook to add contents to
> that array? If so it must be defined that the values are supposed to be in
> uuper case, which is a change in the behaviour. Otherwise the patch is
> probably correct.

Hi Masi,
my first intention was to get the indexed_search work with turkish.
I don't see a hook there for additional markers. Anyway it seems to be a
unwritten rule to use uppercase for markers.

> But note that the whole templating system of TYPO3 has such a magic
> uppercasing feature for template markers. If you want to fix that too you
> must switch to the locale C before doing strtoupper() and switching back
> (other solution is tr/a..z/A..Z/).

are you sure that this work? In this case it will, because the markers in
template are written in uppercase, i don't know what happens if they are
written in lowercase.

Of coarse there are some other upeercasing things in core, but as i observed
on the turkish site all seems to work.

vg  Steffen