[TYPO3-core] RFC: initial cleaner backend

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Sat Oct 27 10:17:12 CEST 2007

Hi Ingmar,

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:

> Ingo Renner wrote:
>> What still needs to be done?
>> * Folding is not yet implemented, as the rendering of sub modules is in
>> a separate method this can be done via AJAX
>
> I'm not even sure we need folding. When the clear-cache and logout
> buttons are in the top frame, there will be more space for the module menu.

think about additional 3rd party modules making the menu longer...
And as we have similar code in the tree I don#t see why we shouldn#t
have it =)

>> * cache clearing functions need to be called through AJAX to not reload
>> the whole backend
>
> Yep. Also I would like to have an AJAX status display like a spinning
> wheel or a loading-bar somewhere. I will send an RFC implementing it.

That#d of course need some spinner. My idea is that you click the new
cache menu icon to bring uo the cache clearing actions, then click the
cache clearing action you want and the menu collapses. the cache menu
icon then turns into a spinner and returns to the regular menu icon when
finished.

>> * the menu items will need more wrapper divs/spans for styling
>
> Are you sure? I was just going to suggest even getting rid of the <b>
> tags around the items?

we only need them for aligning stuff like the folding icons and the
labels. of course the b tag can be removed, too.

>> * we need an option to choose this backend as default instead of the one
>> we have now
>
> Or better: Make the new one default and enable a way to choose the old
> backend instead. At least for the Alpha2 we can enable the new backend
> by default so more people test it.

fine with me.

>> * the top iframe needs to die, too as we need its space for workspace
>> selector, shortcuts, logout cache actions logout and so on (this is also
>> why these things aren't in yet)
>
> Are there any dependencies on the top frame or can we just get rid of it?

as far as I saw until now we can just get rid of it. Of course we need
some way for people to place their stuff there - thinking of the
extdeveval extension f.e.

>> Consider this request as a commit early, commit often patch.
>
> As the patch only adds new stuff and doesn't change any of what's
> currently there, you have my +1 even at this state. I'm sure this will
> be a nice thing for Alpha 2.

it sure will!

all the best
Ingo