[TYPO3-core] RFC: Feature Request #6473: Extend render userFuncs by TS field property

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Oct 26 11:50:52 CEST 2007

Hi Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> I think Typoscript doesn't necessarily means "very complicated", but
> most of all "very flexibel" rendering. This is what most people that
> needs changes in rendering want to have. Either the admin likes
> css_styled_content output, so he leaves PHP (and TypoScript) alone, or
> he wants to adapt it to their own needs, which is much easier if it is
> TypoScript based. And there is the third group of people, which want to
> re-use the rendering provided by TYPO3 in their own extensions or
> configurations. Calling "BULLETS" cObj in TypoScript is much more
> error-prone than calling "USER" with some userFunc from css_styled_content.
>
> The complicated TypoScript from content(default) only comes from the
> fact that it had to mix semantic output with styling parameters
> (fontColor etc), which is not needed anymore. TypoScript should only be
> used to output semantic information (styling goes in .css) and this
> makes it very easy to understand (for easy task like generating a bullet
> list).

I think we generally agree and I neither claimed TypoScript would always
be complicated nor did I object to implementing bullets in TS, I was
just pointing out the idea behind it. But I'm sure you'll find a good
balance between TS and PHP based rendering anyway if you're going to
work on it!

> I don't find css_styled_content "refreshing" if it has to use userFunc
> for such an easy task. The userFunc isn't easily documented. We could
> have that documented in TSref if it had its own cObj.

userFunc or cObj doesn't make much of a difference, what's important is
that it can be configured from TS, right?

cheers
INgmar

--
Ingmar Schlecht