[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #1697: Datetime input fields and timezone shift bug

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Tue Oct 23 13:11:01 CEST 2007

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>
>> As we don't store any TZ information in date / datetime fields (they are
>> integers), you should always see 18h00 on any view (list view, backend
>> form, etc).
>
> ok, this is the case now.
>
> I just don't know whether this would be right. As if I say 18:00 Chicago
> time I also mean 24:00 CEST - at least in my understanding ...
>
> can you explain why this is/should be the right behavior?

I argue that TYPO3 should store times in the server time zone (or UTC), but
should display the time in the time zone of the client. This means that if
I enter a time in my local time, TYPO3 will still show me my local time.

The other option for a consistent UI is to use alywys the server time zone
for both entering and displaying a time. But this means that the editor has
to know what the server's time zone is. I think this is maybe a bit
awkward, but could make sense for some installations.

For both solution there will be no changing of times for the editor.
Whatever she enters will stay as it is entered (unless you change the local
time zone in the former case). If it does, it is a bug.

So, I think the former should be default, but the latter configurable via
TYPO3_CONF_VAR.

Masi