[TYPO3-core] IRRE implementation bugs

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2007 at typo3.com
Mon Oct 22 00:28:58 CEST 2007

Thanks for the screenshot :-)

It's no urgent issue but we should definitely have a session on
workspaces and in that context IRRE as well at the next DevDays (hope
I can come, will depend on school pressure).

Have a nice week.

- kasper

On Oct 21, 2007, at 23:21 , Ingmar Schlecht wrote:

> Hi Kasper,
>
> Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
>> It seems that IRRE is made only for M-1 relationships (many
>> children to one parent). And I didn't realize that the shown
>> records was limited to those pointing to the parent as you describe.
>
> Well, the foreign_field saving method is just one of the possible
> saving methods. There's the option to save the relation in a
> separate relation table (MM table) or in a comma-separated string
> field as well, which would allow for M-M relationships. I just
> mentioned it as one saving method that wouldn't support a multi-
> parent approach, so at least for this method versioning would have
> to automatically create versions of the children as well or
> otherwise loose the relationship.
>
>> And I don't dispute that it is logical for a user that copying the
>> parent should copy the children. However, copies are often made by
>> users as templates for new objects. In such a case it is not given
>> that a user wants all children to be replicated as well if they
>> are interested in starting a new parent based on another ones base
>> information.
>
> It's the same with pages, isn't it? If you uses a page as a copy-
> template, the records on that page are copied as well.
>
>> About IRRE being purely M-1 is not logical for me. The full
>> potential is if it can handle M-M. For me many M-M situations
>> warrants that I can edit the children directly in the parent form,
>> even if they are children of other parents. That is a question of
>> convenience.
>
> I find it inconsistent usability-wise if IRRE children are
> sometimes copied along and sometimes not; changes in children
> sometimes affect other parent's children and sometimes not (same
> goes for moving, deleting and versioning) and at the same time
> found that the "treat as one object" approach is the one that is
> more often to be found and therfore the one to go for.
>
> But there's something called combination view (useCombination=1) in
> IRRE which makes it possible to actually edit MM relations. The
> trick is that the 1:n IRRE relationship actually goes to an
> intermediate table (the MM table) which has a full TCA
> configuration and connects the two other tables. If one of the
> fields of that intermediate table is a DB relation field (group or
> select) then IRRE offers to edit the record that relation field
> points to directly inside of the form as well, with big red warning
> labels so you know you're editing something that affects other
> places as well.
>
> Have a look at the attached screenshot I prepared for you :)
>
> The form in the screenshot actually affects three (!) database
> records: The parent, intermediate and child record.
>
> What's pretty handy is that even the intermediate table can have
> editable fields (unlike traditional MM tables used for e.g. group
> fields).
>
>> "Could you name one real world example where you would like the IRRE
> [...]

- kasper

How many women does it take to get a baby in 1 month?

Kasper Skårhøj
Tryggevældevej 8
2720 Vanløse
+45 20 999 115