[TYPO3-core] IRRE implementation bugs

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sun Oct 21 00:12:43 CEST 2007

Hi Kasper,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> If this is true I can't endorse that conceptually I'm afraid. And I
> simply don't see why IRRE would require this constraint. It's adds lot
> of new complexity to an already complex TYPO3 core and IRRE becomes less
> flexible by not offering it's brilliant interface for applications where
> this constraint is in fact not wanted. So maybe someone can explain to
> me why this constraint was so important?

I'm really surprised you see it that way. I always found it to be
completely inconsistent if we ever allowed to reuse children within
multiple parents.

The technical constraint is that the IRRE saving method "foreign_field"
is written child-up instead of parent-down which means the child points
to the parent in an integer field, and therefore cannot have multiple
parents.

But the real constraint is the usability one: I think it's totally
confusing and misleading if you are able to edit a child record in one
place and it's changed in a totally different context as well.

Could you name one real world example where you would like the IRRE
interface but not the "unique parenthood" principle?

If you think of persons having addresses (which arguably could be shared
among different persons), you'd never want it to be possible to edit the
address record inside of person A because that would unexpectedly change
it in person B's profile as well!

cheers
Ingmar