[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #4183: Incorrect display in htmlArea RTE of utf-8 labels defined in PageTSConfig

Stanislas Rolland stanislas.rolland at fructifor.ca
Tue Oct 16 06:11:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix

Problem:
When the backend is forced to utf-8, labels or names (for classes,
colors or fonts) directly entered in PageTSConfig are entered as utf-8.

PageTSConfig may be set through some php script. Perhaps, if
PageTSConfig is set from a php script, the values should be specified
through some language file (LLL:EXT:file or LLL:file).

If the values are entered directly in PageTSConfig and processed through
$LANG->sL, $LANG->sL will apply a charset conversion if
$LANG->origCharset is not utf-8. For many languages, $LANG->origCharset
is NOT utf-8.

Solution:
Do not use $LANG->sL when the label is defined by a simple string rather
than by reference to a locallang file.

Comments:
I tested the attached patch in a utf-8 backend (I think whatever the
backend charset, the problem could arise if it is not the same as the
'original' charset). Would appreciate feedback on the approach.

The patch fixes another problem apparently not reported in the
bugtracker: the colors and classes labels were localized using the
language of the content element rather than the language of the backend.

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=4183

Branches:
trunk, TYPO3_4-1