[TYPO3-core] RFC: update prototype and scriptacolous

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Oct 15 19:28:44 CEST 2007

Hi *,

This is an SVN patch request.

Type:
Update of 3rd party library

Problem:
Currently we're using prototype 1.5.0 and scriptacolous 1.7.0. Since a
few days a preview of the upcoming scriptacolous library (1.8 preview 1)
is available, this one also uses a very recent prototype (1.6 rc0) trunk
snapshot.

In many cases it would be very comfortable to be able to already use
features of prototype 1.5.1.1. The problem is that we can't just upgrade
prototype to 1.5.1.1 alone as scriptacolous 1.7.0 doesn't work with that
version. (Something seems to be really broken or at least strange with
their release management considering backwards compatibility ;-)

I also know that the Tobias Liebig who's working on the TS editor would
like to use prototype 1.6.

Solution:
update both libraries to the mentioned preview releases.

Notes:
As we're in alpha phase ourselves I don't mind updating to a preview
release of the libraries as we can do this only now. We definitely can't
update to sciptacolous 1.8 and prototype 1.6 with a TYPO3 patch level
release and maybe not even after feature freeze - but that's debatable.

Nevertheless IMO we can update to the final releases of the libraries
with a TYPO3 patch level release (f.e. 4.2.1) if they release their
final versions after TYPO3 4.2 has been released as I then would
consider it a bug fix.

Doing the update now also gives us and the community enough time to test
them and find bugs that might occur relating to the update.

I'm already testing the preview releases and didn't find any bugs yet. I
also asked Olly to test the new versions as - to my knowledge, correct
me if I'm wrong - he's the only one using scriptacolous effects in the core.

Special Note:
I'd like to ship the upcoming alpha2 with the updated libraries.

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=6526

Branches:
trunk only