[TYPO3-core] use php5 for new code

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Wed Oct 10 17:53:47 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Ingo Renner wrote:
>> just some note on new code:
>>
>> I'd like to see new developments to be in php5 only because of the
>> more advanced OO capabilities and encapsulation of object data.
>
> So we can add new varaibles as public, protected and private, right?

* yes for all options for new variables
* yes for public for existing variables
* no for private and protected for existing variables as this could
break stuff if you make them private even if they always were meant to
be private (... we never know what people do ...)

anyway we could have getters/setters for existing - meant to be private
- variables and say that in 4.4 or 4.5 we finally make them private...

>> How about this f.e.?
>> t3lib/class.t3lib_invalidargumentexception.php
>
> I.e. t3lib_InvalidArgumentException? Good, +1. The only problem that I
> see, is that not many extensions are ready for this. If they use
> try/catch, they will not work with 4.1 codebase on PHP4.

then they simply need to set the requirement for TYPO3 4.2+ in
ext_emconf.php

let's innovate and not look back too much
Ingo