[TYPO3-core] RFC: Feedback Agent

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Sun Nov 11 21:43:52 CET 2007

Hi !!

Recently I had some ideas about a kind of Quality Report tool for T3. Similar to the feedback
agent of prominent software like mozilla or some of those microsoft apps, etc ..

So what do you think about a "TYPO3 Feedback Agent" ... Must not explicitly go into the core.
Could also get implemented as extension. But I think about a piece of code which allows us to
easily get a clue of what problems occur where and under which circumstances.

I tought about an extension which hooks into the PHP error chain - and reports critical errors
and such by sending a mail or doing a HTTP POST request to some specific address ... supplying
an XML structure with information about OS/PHP/Webserver version and type, and probably some other
parts of information which the server admin is willing to submit (I think we should make the amount
of information transmitted configurable - as everything in T3 :)

On the other side (at the address where the information gets submitted) there should be some kind
of server-script which takes the XML, splits it into fields and puts it into a database generating
some kind of reports which errors seem to occur often.

This would surely help finding problems/errors especially in Alpha and Beta versions very early.
Even without the necessarity of having server admins which bravely submit error reports.

what do you think about such an idea ? AFAIK we already discussed such a thing some time/years
ago - but I think we didn't came to a conclusion at that time ...

greets,
Bernhard