[TYPO3-core] RFC: Make image hash names longer to avoid collisions

Andreas Otto andreas.otto at dkd.de
Fri May 18 10:18:44 CEST 2007

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> I never understood the logic of using truncated md5 hashes and argued
> before to use only the real hashes. Certainly the "beauty" of a generated
> filename cannot be a reason, right?

Me neither, truncating md5 hashes and using the generated subtring of the
md5 hash is asking for collisions, which will happen sooner or later.

To fix this we have to do quite some work:

* Check DB layout: Where are short md5 hashes used?
* Check TYPO3core: Where are short md5 hashes used?
* How to change existing code to make use of full-length md5 hashes? What
about backwards-compatibility?

Anything else we have to check?

Cheers,
Andreas