[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 689: Domain Record with umlaut Domains not working

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu May 10 12:44:51 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov wrote: on 09.05.2007 12:06:

> This is more RFC to core team than SVN patch request.
>
> Branch: trunk
>
> Problem: if user wants to include npn-ascii charactersto domain record,
> this will not work. (...)

> Patch uses this library (in
> typo3/contrib/) to (1) produce proper typolinks and (2) decode domain
> names as necessary while getting domain name for page.

Are you sure you need to use this library for generating typolinks? If I
have a domain with umlauts in the HTML-page, isn't the browser going to
translate that to punycode if the user clicks on it, just as if the user
entered it into the Address-bar?

> Masi suggested to add user field to domain record to show punycode
> version of domain name. It is good but I did not do it in this patch
> because I am not sure where in the core such code can be placed.

I would add a new "eval" possibility to TCA called "domain", so that
also extensions can create "domain" fields that can handle these.
Storing them in punycode in the database and converting them to "umlaut"
variants in the human-readable TCEforms.

If this is the path we choose (would be cool), we would need to convert
the punycode back to renderCharset on output if what I said above is true.

Cheers,
Ernesto