[TYPO3-core] Deprecated method vs Deleted method

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu May 3 15:17:06 CEST 2007

Ingo Renner wrote: on 03.05.2007 14:32:

>> I agree. We should have a policy that says: Anything that we tag as
>> DEPRECATED will be removed at least two versions afterwards.
>
> but wouldn't that kill the holy cow of backwards compatibility?!!

Heh, yea, that is true. But isn't that the idea of "deprecating"
something? So that noone will ever use this method/function from now on?
If we still have to support it until the rest of our 4.x lives, it makes
no sense to ever deprecate anything.

For example we still have dozens of "DEPRECATED" static templates that
come from a pre 3.5 era in our "modern" 4.1 TYPO3's. That is very ugly.
I think if we have modern and good alternatives, we can as well (after
some time, which is why we would need a policy) opt to remove the things
we marked as deprecated.

Removing something deprecated should also accompany a very detailed
"howto" in the Release-Notes where extension developers and site
maintainers can know what to do to "upgrade" smoothly. For example:

Deprecated method "xyz" was removed from t3lib_abc. Use method vwx from
t3lib_def instead.

etc... There might be other deprecated removing-stuff that we might even
solve in an upgrade path. E.g. when removing all static templates and
moving them to some sysext, the upgrade path could clean up existing
ts-templates to make them use that static templates "from extensions"
after the upgrade instead.

Cheers,
Ernesto