[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #5088: cache is not saved properly because of charset conflict in the database

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Mar 30 11:36:55 CEST 2007

Hi Martin,

> > How to reproduce:
> > | Here is a list of prerequisites:
> > | - The backend must run in latin1 (no forceCharset=utf8 set!)
> > | - setDBinit=SET NAMES utf8;
> > | - cache_hash.content = utf8_general_ci
> > | - Your template contains two page types (typeNum)
> > | - Your template contains special characters
> > |
> > | Changing a single one of these requirements makes the bug go away.
>
> But with SET NAMES utf8 you set the mysql client encoding to UTF8.

While discussing this with people who reported the bug, we found out that they
had been using ISO-8859-1 once, switched to UTF-8, but did not convert the
sys_templates table. So the database is storing UTF-8 data, but the content
(charsets of sys_template contents are never converted) was still
ISO-8859-1...

> Mysql client encoding and BE encoding must match.

That's the point. Since it doesn't match, we should change the field back to
mediumblob.

- michael