[TYPO3-core] RFC: clear cache does not remove files in typo3temp/cache_pages

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Mar 30 10:54:19 CEST 2007

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Hi Martin,
>

>>Ingmar Schlecht schrieb:
>>
>>>Nothing special, just that an extension shipping with an old XCLASS to
>>>e.g. tceforms might break 4.1 because there were lots of changes to the
>>>class from 4.0 to 4.1.
>>
>>Nothing special ?!? The XCLASSes are exactly the reason why I disagree
>>here. A good rule for an admin is to be conservative with upgrades. So
>>"no reason not to swutch from 4.0 to 4.1" is not a good argument for
>>these users.
>>
>>If we want to be "enterprise class" we have to support older versions. I
>>suggest we support a version one year after it has been obsoleted. With
>>supporting I mean that we promise to fix a defined set of error classes.
>

> Hmm, quite difficult point :-)
>
> I would have agreed with you if you wrote about security fixes only, but
> maintaining 4.0 for one year from now seems out of scope for me.
>
> Enterprise level or not, we have limited resources and probably better
> things to do. If there is interest in having such long-term support, then I
> think it should be sponsored by those who really need it.

The key was "defined set of error classes". I think we can restrict this to
security and compatibility. I think we can handle upcoming IE oddities and
the likes. Maybe we can even deal with any changes in Mysql 5.1.

Some enterprises are very conservative in their upgrade strategies and they
do ask for long living branches.

Masi