[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 5678: Missing clearer div in csc-textpic-intext-left/csc-textpic-intext-right

Oliver Hader oh at inpublica.de
Mon Jun 4 09:33:26 CEST 2007

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Oliver Hader schrieb:
>> This is a SVN patch request.
>>
>> Problem:
>> When placing two (or more) content elements of the type "text w/image"
>> (with "intext-left" or "intext-right" for the image positioning)
>> underneath each other and the text does not reach beneath the lower
>> picture border, then the picture of the second content element is
>> positioned on the side of the upper picture instead of underneath. The
>> content elements are "crammed" into each other.
>
> See also thread "still some problems with clear:both" in
> typo3.projects.content-rendering where I have also brought up this subject.
>
> The point is all image positions use <div class="csc-textpic-clear">
> expect the "intext" variants. Ernesto Baschny explains the reason:
>
> --
> It is because it also was also rendered like
> that in the "old" table variant (table is "floated" left or right)! This
> makes it possible to have short texts and alternating images left and
> right without having large gaps between the text blocks. Something like
> that is possible:
>
> +-----+
> | img |  Text for block #1 with img-left, ends here.
> | img |                                     +-----+
> | img |  Text for block #2 (img-right)      | img |
> +-----+                                     | img |
> Text for next block continues here and goes | img |
> goes on...                                  +-----+
> and on... and on... and on... and on... and on...
> and on...
>
> Of course having two img-left images will break if text is short. But
> then the editor can choose in-text-nowrap...
> --

I was wondering that this issue was not reported/solved before, now I
know the reason - thanks for the hint.
But this behaviour is one thing that isn't really intuitive to editors.
It's not easy to tell customers about these "special cases" and to
communicate the reason why they have to select something (here:
"in-text-nowrap") when something else (here: "texte shorter than image
height") is present.

Maybe it's possible to introduce a setting via e.g. constant editor that
makes it configurable in a simple way for the site-admin. If this
setting is enabled, the "clearers" are used.

What do you think? Shall we change (improve) this behaviour or let this
untouched as it is?

olly
--
Oliver Hader