[TYPO3-core] RFC: CLI dispatcher doesn't work with CGI API

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Jul 16 14:46:41 CEST 2007

Hi Masi,

>> Well ".phpsh" is a pretty bad extension for a shell script, but ".php"
>> isn't better either.
>
> Why is .php bad? It just tells you what it is.

It doesn't run from the browser. At least it's not intended for that...

In my opinion, it should be clearly visible that this is a commandline
script whereas usual ".php" files are usually called from a web browser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)#Solving_shebang_problems_with_the_env_program

> Ah! Too bad it's no good for Windows. So shall we change "#! /usr/bin/php"
> to "#! /usr/bin/env php" which moves the dependency to env.

Does Windows support cron jobs then? Come on! After all, Windows users can
still run it, but afaics this is the only kind of "standard" to find the
right parser.

So having a shebang that works on 90% of all (production) systems is still
better than having none at all.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out