[TYPO3-core] RFC: including extJS in core

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Fri Jul 13 10:28:43 CEST 2007

I'm working quite a lot with prototype and scriptaculous these days and
I have to say that extJS is quite impressive. Like you said, not all
components should be used (each and every javascript library gets into
performance problems at some point) but overall I like it, especially
the GUI capabilities. I've worked with Qooxdoo [1] for a while, which
offers more GUI components [2], but Qooxdoo is quite hard to learn and
is probably slower.

I love the tree component from extJS. It is very intuitive.

One of the main advantages of extJS is that the code, indeed, is easy to
understand. And that it can work together with prototype/Scriptaculous
and jQuery using adapter script files.

In my opinion we need some javascript GUI Framework for the future
anyway, and I think this is the best solution so far, because it
combines the best there is right now like Yahoo UI library,
prototype/Scriptaculous and jQuery.

With your prototype you've already proven that easy readable and
writeable Javascript code can build a good interface.

+1 for giving it a try to use the extJS tree with Kaspers new features.

Patrick

PS. Now that I'm thinking of it I could use some UI features of extJS in
the new form wizard as well. They are now done with Scriptaculous but as
I see it this functionality is more covered in extJS.

[1] http://www.qooxdoo.org
[2] http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/