[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 4666: Date formatting should use Typo3 default settings and be configurable

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Jan 30 10:41:35 CET 2007

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Anyway, wherever now date() is used, I agree that we should use the
> conf. var. But for the indexed search I think we should not use date(),
> but strftime().

It is still bad sometimes. I have no idea how good it looks with German
day names but it looks awful with Russian. Day names are spelled
correctly if used on their own but wrong if used with day number. For
example, "%d %B %Y" becomes "30 Январь 2007" while must be "30 января
2007 г." (case+spelling change+appended text!), so strftime() is useless
and everyone writes custom function is its Cyrillic application to do it
properly.

> PS: I think I have outline a scheme for better handling of date/time
> formats in BE and FE in a posting. AFAIR Andreas Otto liked it, but it
> was ignored otherwise. I think I had a kind of API call in mind that
> would determine the format (based on settings and OS locale defaults).

This is good. But API should be extendable to allow better handling than
strftime() does.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/