[TYPO3-core] RFC: performance improvemenets for database

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Jan 26 12:30:13 CET 2007

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> What happens if I have InnoDB enabled but did not configure it. Will
> Mysql increase the table space automatically? I recall from Oracle that
> a tablespace may have a fixed size or grow if needed. What is the
> default for InnoDB?

You have to configure it or server will not start. When server starts,
it checks if InnoDb is enabled. If it is, server checks if storage is
present. If storage is not present, server tries to create it. If it
fails, it stops. If it does not fail, it checks storage for consistency.

You can configure innodb to use either partitions or files. If you go
with files, the last file will autoexpand if you say so. Or youļl get
mysql errors when there is no more space to insert data. Here is what I
have as my setup:
-------------
default_table_type = innodb

# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables
innodb_data_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql/innodb
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:4G;ibdata2:4G;ibdata3:2G:autoextend
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql/innodb
innodb_log_arch_dir = /var/lib/mysql/innodb

If you do not configure paths/files, it obviously will not be able to
create any storage files.

InnoDb was disabled on my SuSE by default, so I had to go through all it
on a live system when I started to get myisam erros daily in sys_stat
and cache_pagesection :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/