[TYPO3-core] RFC: garbage characters displayed in flexforms (#4085, #4813)

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Jan 23 14:44:08 CET 2007

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> I think that this problem will go away when I finish my still pending
> charset patch.

What exactly is going to be in that patch? After thinking for a while I
doubt it will help to my problem simply because you may not change the
whole BE from limited charsets (like latin1, windows-1257 or koi8-r) to
utf-8. For example, here in Latvia most sites use windows-1257 and many
browsers are hard-coded to that encoding. So UTF-8 based sites have
difficulties with displaying. Same in Russia, where standard de facto is
windows-1251 and many people cannot (or do not want to) see sites in
other encodings. Even many typo3-based sites in Russia use windows-1251.

$LANG always converts from current BE charset (which can be latin1, etc)
to desired charset. My patch is only specifying correct _source_ charset
for the string. I really doubt you can correct it in any other way.

In fact I expected that this change will get two +1s the same day... :(

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/
Skype: callto:liels_bugs