[TYPO3-core] RFC: Hook request in t3lib_tceforms

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Thu Feb 15 11:31:11 CET 2007

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Kahler schrieb:
> OT:
> I consulted the "Core Team Guide 0.2" on the topic and the statement I found
> was <cite>New branches and tags are usually created by the release manager
> whenever it is needed, so you should not do this on your own. You can
> contact the release manager if you have special requests.</cite>
> Branches are mentioned at some other places in the document also, but there
> the process isn't described in detail as well.
>
> AFAIR the last discussion on the core list had the conclusion that a RC
> means a new branch. I support this.

You probably missed the discussion in the thread "4.1 - How far are we?"
about whether to create the 4.1 branch with the release of the RC1 or
with the release of 4.1 final. I share Stucki's view there.

> I think there's no discussion about following points:
> - A RC means a feature freeze.
> - A feature freeze does allow no changes but bug fixes.

The feature freeze before a minor version means no changes except for
bugfixes and hooks.

Yet, new hooks are not allowed for patchlevel version.

> - No new features but only bug fixes can get into a branch.

...which doesn't apply for hooks if they're added before a final minor
version.

> What's the result of this?
> If we have a RC _without_ a branch, it's not allowed to do any other changes
> on trunk than in a branch. So there's no difference between the trunk and a
> branch. And we have the absurd situation of the trunk being a branch.

Exactly. There's no problem with that, as discussions about new features
should be held back until 4.1 final is released, so we need no "trunk"
(in the original sense) during the RC phase.

> Ergo:
> RC => feature freeze => branch

See above.

> So IMHO something like these lines should be added to the "Core Team Guide"
> (if there are no objections):
> A branch is usually created with the RC1 ( the first release candidate) of
> a new minor version whereas tags are created for every release ( beta, RC,
> final and patch level).
> every patch level version.
> According to this the (regular) branches are named "TYPO3_<major
> release>-<minor release>" whereas the (regular) tags are named "TYPO3_<major
> release>-<minor release>-<patch level>".

I wouldn't object to adding that to the core team guide, yet hooks
should be explicitly allowed until final.

Anyway, I think that a majority vote or sensible arguments of the
release management can in any case make exceptions to what's written in
the core team guide, as sometimes special cases might not be covered
properly.

cheers
Ingmar