[TYPO3-core] RFC: #4911: No function for adding alternative external URL for other languages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Dec 17 10:51:30 CET 2007

Benjamin Mack wrote: on 24.11.2007 20:49:

> this is a SVN patch request.
>
> Branches: Trunk only
>
> BT Reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=4911

> There is no way to add a corresponding external URL in another language
> when using the one tree model and choosing page type: external URL.
>
> There is no facility to create an alternative external URL on the
> default page or in the alternative language record.
>
> Typo3 only allows one URL in the default language.
>
> Solution:
> Add the needed fields to the DB and the TCA.

It seems that this is not all what is needed. I just tested the patch
with a setup like:

I have english as default language, sys_language with uid=1 is german.
And in my TypoScript:

config {
	sys_language_mode = content_fallback
	sys_language_overlay = 1
	linkVars = L
}

[globalVar = GP:L = 1]
config {
	sys_language_uid = 1
	language = de
	locale_all = de_DE
	htmlTag_langKey = de
}
[global]

So I apply your path do the updates to the DB. Then I create a page as
external URL. Then create a german translation of that page. The new
field is there. I fill up the title and enter a different URL.

I test the frontend, with and without L=1. Both show different titles in
the menus, but both link to the same URL I entered in the english
version. So the german translation isn't being used at all.

So currently this is a -1 from me, until this is possible, because else
this is just confusing (one can enter an URL which is not being used).

Maybe the problem here is the setup of sys_language_overlay, which
probably isn't being done when resolving the external URL page type. To
be complete, your patch has to do that too.

Cheers,
Ernesto