[TYPO3-core] status of 4.2alpha1

Ingo Renner typo3 at ingo-renner.com
Wed Aug 15 21:55:06 CEST 2007

Hi all,

as you might have noticed alpha1 is still not out. Here're the
reasons and thoughts:

The main reason is that we just don't have enough features we can
hand out for testing yet.
I wrote that I'd go and commit Kasper's changes to the page tree
which I couldn't do in the end as he went on vacation without sending
his revised patches to this list.
I also wanted to wait for some other features like the TS editor or
the new installer which weren't ready at the end of last month. I
asked Thomas to come up with whatever he has until now, so please
have a look at it as he sent his current code already.

So we'll push alpha1 back until at least those things are in the core
I'd say. All other release dates will probably have to get pushed
back equally.

Then I'd like to remind what features we planed for the 4.2 release
[1] and which haven't been started yet, either:

* utf8 by default for new installations
* drop php4 support, require php5.2
* css_styled_content improvements
* performance improvements

There're also some other features left on the 4.2 development page
[1] in the wiki which do not have assignees yet. PLease have a look
and assign yourself by moving the ideas up to the planed features
section followed by your name until Friday August 24th.

In case you can't come up with the things you might have added to the
wiki page for 4.2 please move it to the bugtracker and remove it from
the 4.2 development page.

You can then hand in a proposal for sponsoring requests with
descriptions and expected time requirements like it was done with
4.0. It's then planed to set up a sponsoring platform for the public
at t3o for this matter.

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/4.2_Development

all the best
Ingo