[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #1839: Broken Rootline when a Editor view a Page that is not online

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Apr 18 16:58:05 CEST 2007

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 18.04.2007 16:25:

>> Am 18.04.2007 um 14:57 schrieb Martin Kutschker:
>>
>>> There are a couple of WS related bugs which are really annoying  like
>>> this one.
>>>
>>> Can we make an exemption and have them into 4.0 as well?
>>
>> As it's a bug, why not? It's not a feature...
>
> Michael Stucki wanted us only to commit security bugs into 4.0. My point
> was to fix also compatibility issues (eg problems with new browser
> versions) and "dead-end" UI experiences for users or more serious issues
> (eg data loss). I think Michael's point was that it's too hard to draw a
> line in the light of our limited resources.
>
> But as WSes are, hm, a bit hard too handle anyway, I'd love to see these
> issues resolved for users that cannot upgrade to 4.1 easily. Of course
> I'm willing to do the patching myself if the patch submitter doesn't
> want to. I even volunteer to patch if necessary 4.0 for all of the above
> mentioned error classes.

Ok, this is offtopic, and has been discussed before, but here my view:

It is usually very easy for a patcher to also fix a bug in 4.0, because
not much have changed in most parts of the code between 4.0, 4.1 and
trunk. Sometimes a fix even applies to 3.8 with an unchanged patch!

So I would let the patch creator decide if he wants to fix it also in
4.0 (tell it in the RFC). Then, if the patch has several +1's, let
Stucki alone decide whether this fix SHOULD be applied also to 4.0 or
not, because it is probably he who will have to coordinate the next
4.0.x release. Releasing a new 4.0.x version is probably much more work
for us than it is for an admin to upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.1.x. We should
motivate people to upgrade to newer versions anyway.

Cheers,
Ernesto