[TYPO3-core] Planning 4.1

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Sep 15 00:37:59 CEST 2006

Hi guys,

last weekend, Stucki and I went up onto some swiss mountain and took out
the result papers from the 4.x brainstorming sessions of the T3DD.
Basically we skimmed those lists of features requests for the ones that
make sense and are realistic to implement if we want to have a nice 4.1
release in about 2 months from now.

The main big things people seem to wish for TYPO3 4.1 (except better HCI
in general) are:

	- UTF-8 by default
	- Complete DAM Integration
	- An improved list module

...and there's still the wish to be able to completely disable workspaces.

All of those bigger points need one or more of you to pick them up and
take initiative. In case there's sponsoring needed, I guess the
Association would be willing to pay at least some money for such core
projects.

Apart from those big things, a lot of smaller things have been named.
Here's a list of them, with my comments attached.

	- Dynamic Backend Editing
    (like kb_tca_section, inline editing of related records)

There are actually some very interesting things about this going on at
the moment. Oliver Hader who has programmed the dynbeedit extension
(which does basically the same as kb_tca_section, just salted with a bit
of AJAX), plans to realize better TCEForms support for relational
editing as a project of his university studdies. Currently he's in the
process of evaluating which kind of relational editing he's going to
implement. If you have feedback for him, he'd sure be happy to get it in
the thread "[TYPO3-dev] Dynamic Backend Editing".

	- Normalize page types

As far as I know Michael Scharkow has got some ideas about normalizing
page types. I guess an Update Wizard module will have to be written to
convert old page types to the new, normalized (i.e. tidied-up) page
types. (Probably this needs to be discussed in detail in the HCI list.)

	- Improved Extension Manager (less memory consumption, faster)

Bernard Kraft has rewritten the EM so it now uses a MySQL table to store
all the extension data in. That makes it much faster and also makes
pagination (pagebrowser) of the list possible. I have tested his EM for
quite a while now, so I think there's not much more work needed to
complete it and get it into trunk.

	- BE ACLs into the Core

The Backend ACL Extension has been around for a while now, it works
great and the concept has proven to be really good. I have spoken to
Sebastian, and he's willing to integrate it into the core, and write an
update wizard that converts the old permissions into ACLs so when ACLs
are integrated into the core the classic permission system for pages can
be dropped.

	- New Install Tool

Michael Scharkow is going to start working on a rewritten Install Tool
soon, and Patrick Gaumond has spent quite some time doing conceptional
work about the Install Tool, too. Michael expects the new installer to
be ready for 4.1 or maybe for 4.2.

	- Frontend forms library shipped with the core

Anyone?

	- UTF-8 by default

I hope Martin Kutschker has some comments on what to take into account here.

	- Team Communication in the BE

I guess this is about "Who's online" in the Backend and maybe the
possibility to get into a chat contact with other online Backend users.
It probably also includes the possiblity to make internal comments on
records and stuff like that. I don't have any direct relation to this
nor do I need it. Anyone interested? Does this belong to HCI?

So if you'd like to take initiative on any of the points, just raise
your hands and get in contact with me, I'm going to coordinate 4.1.

cheers
Ingmar