[TYPO3-core] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Tue Sep 12 09:40:10 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My suggestion is that for TYPO3 version 4.1 we implement these 3 main
> HCI features:
>
> - A new backend frameset, featuring (see attached screenshot)
>     a) pull-down menus to access current modules / submodules /
> function- menu items
>     b) Icon bar below pull-down menu for short cuts to any menu item

To get it right:

The UI uses menus like seen in "native" applications but has a set of user
configurable tool bar with shortcurs to specific menu items.

At first I thought "oh my, not menus", but with the tool bar it could work
quite well.

>     d) Fully configurable per user using XML (so can be saved, shared etc).

Hm. Will it still be compatible with user TS? I guess that as an admin I
want some presets for my users and I have already some TS to do that. IMHO
it's not a good idea to have yet another way to configure "something" in TYPO3.

>     f) Technically: Done with an IFRAME so that current modules think
> they still run in the good old frameset they are used to.

Nothing's wrong with that.

>     Inspiration: In fact, this is as Tapio seems to already have worked
> on and what Lasse N. once made a working example for! (see the very
> first podcast if you like).

He has no menus so his work could live in the current frameset without much
changes of the HTML structure.

Plus there are two features I really like:

a) you can resize the page tree frame
b) you can hide the page tree (in the style of browser sidebars)

> - A "Dashboard" welcome screen (like my-yahoo, pageflakes etc.)

Nice.

> - Wizard framework

This is welcome.

> The horizon for the above is to have a working prototype to show at
> T3CON06 and it should be finished by end of October. In addition we
> should have someone programming widgets for the dashboard etc.

Sounds ambitious.

Please, whoever is working on that, try to separate any changes to the Core
that is necessary for these tasks from other changes. IMHO it will be much
easier to understand changes later on in the SVN history when only related
changes land in the tree. If you need smaller changes commit them
separatley before the big merger.

Masi