[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bidirectioanl MM relations

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Wed Sep 6 19:04:18 CEST 2006

Hi Rupert,

rupert germann wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 11:02, Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
>> This is a SVN patch request.
> [...]
>> I would like the patch to enter trunk rather sooner then later to have a
>> long testing period until 4.1 is released. You can test the new feature
>> with the attached test extension.
>
> works great with the mmtest extension, but IMO one important case is missing:
> what about relations where the source and the target table are the same? in
> your example that would be f.i. a relation between different people. That
> seems not (yet) to be possible.

Relations between the same table "without a direction" can indeed not be
expressed with what our patch does.

However, I think that is an additional feature that needs to be thought
about independently, because for example sorting would not be possible
at all the way it's done now.

> +- 0 for now.
>
> or do I miss something here? but however: great patch, thx dudes.

Anyway, we spent a lot of time making the patch clean, well-working for
what it's supposed to do, while not changing any of the old behavior,
and personally I have to say that I wouldn't want to risk adding the
possibility for "same table relations without direction" to the patch,
as I wouldn't know which problems that might cause. Unfortunately I
haven't got much spare time in the coming weeks, so if the patch doesn't
get accepted without that feature, I'm afraid I won't be able to commit
it for quite a while because I want to make sure that it's really stable
when committing it.

Anyway, I think our patch lies a good basis for adding "same table
relations without a direction" later, because we made t3lib_loaddbgroup
know the TCA of the field it's working on, which would be a requirement
for what you propose as well.

cheers
Ingmar