[TYPO3-core] Commits to SVN

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Thu Oct 26 14:00:16 CEST 2006

Hi Kasper, core team,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Hi Ingmar, core team
>
> I finally managed to commit my stuff since august to SVN now.

Great!

One thing that occured to me: You're making a lot of discrete AJAX
calls, each responding with one bunch of HTML.

Wouldn't it make sense to combine some of those requests into one
request? Anyway, I guess I'll have a deeper look into the code you wrote
and then make detailed suggestions based on the code.

> Secondly, the "alt_main_new.php" for the HCI menu bar and stuff.

As for the naming of the file, my preferred name would be "main.php",
instead of ng_main.php, because some day I'm sure the AJAX backend is
used by most of the users, and then it's sensible to call the mainly
used one "main.php" and the rarely used alternative "alt_main.php".

(I know that in the old days main.php was used for the mostly JavaScript
based backend, but who cares? :-) )

> Ingmar, what is the release plan?

The last date that we talked about in the Planning 4.1 thread was mid
November for a release, however, I think we should wait a little longer
than that, so at least some of the things on people's T3DD wishlists are
done.

One of the things that's still cooking is the "Inline relational record
editing" diploma project by Oliver Hader (see [1], [2]), and I'd really
love to get this into trunk before 4.1 comes out.

Status of the other projects:
- Improved Extension Manager (less memory consumption, faster)
   -> Bernhard made an XCLASS extension for testing. It just needs to
      be sent to the core list as an RFC.

- BE ACLs into the Core
   -> Sebastian Kurfürst is busy with University, so it's delayed. Maybe
      he can give an estimate on when he thinks this will be ready.

- New Install Tool
   -> Michael Scharkow was working on this. How's the status?

- UTF-8 by default
   -> Martin Kutschker has been working on UTF-8 for filenames, but I
      think there's nothing going on at the moment to make UTF-8
      default. Anyone wants to opt in?

- Complete DAM Integration
   -> Dropped due to Rupert's estimation that DAM is still too bugy to
      risk making it a default sysext.

Bottomline is:

I think it makes sense to wait for the HCI stuff to be finished, before
we release 4.1.

I'd propose a feature freeze on 15. November (is that enough time for
the HCI stuff?) and have the release two weeks later. What do you guys
think?

cheers
Ingmar

[1] TYPO3 Playground SVN
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/typo3xdev/typo3_playground/

[2] Inline Relational Record Editing (IRRE)
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Inline_Relational_Record_Editing