[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 md5 hashes - exemplified in bug#4363

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Fri Oct 13 17:23:06 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:
> Isn't the "ident" field used for plain text strings and you are talking
> about hashes?

I'm talking about both :-)

While the mentioned bug is about the ident field, it brought up my long
standing oopnion about md5-hashes.

> Please, prove actual problems with shortening md5 hashes and solve those
> cases when they surface. Don't change it for the theory of it, if it
> works. Thats an order :-)

Well, you can and will hav collisoins with the full md5-hash. If you're
shortening the string you increase the chance for a collision. The fact
that it still may rare doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Masi