[TYPO3-core] 4.1 - How far are we?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Nov 28 17:11:33 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 28.11.2006 16:54:

>> +1 from me too. We are installing every new site with forceCharSet set
>> to utf-8 and it should be what TYPO3 does my default. But this should
>> somehow respect the "compat_version" setting, so that when someone sets
>> it to "4.0", the default would be whatever it was before. Is there a way
>> to differenciate between those?
>
> Hm. When we have no forceCharset in localconf.php but a compat_version
> of 4.0, the installer MUST as an empty forceCharset in localconf.php.
>
> I would not try do add any auto-converions to the installer.

Neither would I. I agree, this can continue to be external extensions,
because they are only needed on very specific cases.

> I don't think that the current installer/compatibilty framework will
> handle this well. The user can click and change all the stuff any time
> she likes. After 1-2-3 (if used at all), there is absoltely no guidance.

So what do you think to have the site set up with forceCharSet=utf8
right after the 1-2-3 installer? This would mean nothing breaks on
existing installs (or does it make sense to run the 1-2-3 installer on
existing installations??) and new installations will already be utf-8 by
default, meaning less trouble with language and character sets, when
adding russian to a german site later.

Cheers,
Ernesto