[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement?

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Nov 24 14:46:33 CET 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Stucki wrote:
>
>> I'm really not sure if we have made a strict requirement for the
>> minimum PHP version to use.
>
> I remember there were something but cannot find it anymore. At least I
> remember that we still support mysql 3.23 :)

I do only recall we "support" a version of 4.1.x, but don't know the exact x.

>> The last status I remember is that we required PHP 4.1.2 because it
>> was still shipped with Debian Woody.
>
> Seems like requirements should be clarified. I would vote for
> PHP4.3.x/MySQL4.1 for 4.0.x and PHP5/MySQL4.1 for 4.1.

As 4.0.0 was supposed to work with PHP4.1 I wouldn't change that now (No
surprises policy!!!!). But I'm happy if 4.1 requires PHP4.3.

As for PHP5: the odd thing is, (potential) users are still unsure if TYO3
works with PHP5. A link from the "download" page on typo3.org to the
"requirements" page could help. Unfortunately this page this page won't
tell you which version of PHP4 is supported. However, I'm for making small
steps, so IMHO after PHP4.3 in 4.1 comes PHP5.0.3 (? I recall the first few
have some oddities) in 4.2.

As for Mysql: No, version jump for TYPO3 4.0. And why the jump to 4.1.
What's new in 4.1 that we do not find in  4.0. UTF8 is in 4.0, right? BTW,
if we require native UTF8 support we can get rid of the field
multiplication stuff. Or do we have to deprecated that as well? Hm, anyway
if we really remove it we have it provide an update script for the table
definitions.

Masi