[TYPO3-core] t3lib_BEfunc::getProcessedValue hook fixes

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Nov 17 14:10:45 CET 2006

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Duh? Please read the code! I do not change the API in 4.0.x, I merely
> want to make the Core use it correctly.
>
> I do propose a slight change to the API for 4.1. But I only want to make
> $fieldName mandatory. Any caller of the function will know the field
> anyway, so it's easy to cope with that change.

I understand all that but I do not like this. We add new features to 4.1
but I do not like the idea to change API. Otherwise I can find many
places that I want to change...

> And we really need a distcinion between "private" API and the real
> public API. If we cannot change any function because someone *might* use
> it from an extension TYPO3 5.0 will be a bunch of deprecated and whacky
> backward-compatibility flags as TYPO3 4.x is.

I understood that 5.0 will not be compatible with 4.0. I.e. you will
need the whole new set of extensions. May be I am wrong...

> Who the *#**! ouside the Core is supposed to use this function? The
> fieldName is NOT ADDED and without the $fieldName we can remove the hook
> altogether as it just won't work: No fieldName, not enough data to work on.

Calm down, please, or I will have to stop discussing it :)

Are you sure no one uses it? Are you sure it will be 100% useless
without field name? getFlexFormDS for templavoila is always known field.
There is no need for field name if one uses it (and assumes!) only
templavoila.

Can you give to "yes" on those questions?

To clarify again:
- current situation is bad and should be changed
- changing existing API (=function signature) is not acceptable, this is
what I feel
- we must change core so that field name is always passed to that function
- we must not remove default value from that parameter

It perfectly solves the problem without changing API.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/
Skype: callto:liels_bugs