[TYPO3-core] RFC: RTE magick images have a doublefile extension

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Nov 9 12:53:48 CET 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> - *P* is the original, *C* is the copy
> - Copy is generated from original upon save
> - They must be in the same directory (my cleaner-scripts will complain
> if not, this is an integrity definition)

Couldn't this be changed so that the *C* versions are stored in
typo3temp/RTEmagicC like any other rendered images that we are able to
recreate from the source/original (e.g. with GIFBUILDER or as a resize)?

> - The name of the copy may have a double extension but this is afair
> simply to reference back to the original. YOU SHOULD NOT REMOVE that
> extra extension!
>
> For instance:
> P: RTEmagicP_a3_01.tif
> C: RTEmagicC_a3_01.tif.jpg
>
> where "a3_01.tif" gives the clue what the original is; When you re-scale
> "RTEmagicC_a3_01.tif.jpg" in the RTE and save, it will remove the last
> extension, ".jpg" and substitute "RTEmagicC_" with "RTEmagicP_" and now
> it knows the name of the original file.
>
> If the copy was name "RTEmagicC_a3_01.jpg", then how could it deduct the
> name of the original? It couldn't! It could be a tif/bmp/pdf/whatever
> extension!

I think we could:

P: RTEmagicP_a3_01.tif
C: RTEmagicC_a3_01.tif.jpg

and

P: RTEmagicP_a3_01.jpg
C: RTEmagicC_a3_01.jpg

The function to calculate P from C is still reversible, we just have to
skip the dropping of the extension in case there is just one.

But I agree we should leave it as is, because this is only cosmetical
and changing it won't give us much.

Cheers,
Ernesto