[TYPO3-core] RFC: RTE magick images have a doublefile extension

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Nov 6 14:11:37 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker schrieb:

> PS: Does anyone know if the RTEmagicP_ files are used in th FE? Reading
> the code I take them as temporary files as only RTEmagic_C files are
> passed to the text field (and no other references to RTEmagicP is in the
> code). If so this should be changed to a) use typo3temp and b) remove
> the files. Currently they just fill up uploads/.

As far as I understood the code (t3lib_parsehtml_proc::TS_images_db),
the RTEmagicP files are the "original" versions of the images uploaded
directly into the RTE (or fetched from a remote URL).

They should remain "somewhere" so that the RTE-transformation will be
able to generate a resized version if requested.

For example, if I add an image that is 1000x1000 in size and I resize it
with the mouse in the RTE to 200x200 and save the content element, this
will leave the 1000x1000 version as RTEmagicP and the new 200x200 as
RTEmagicC.

If I then later edit this content element and decide to enlarge the
image to 400x400, this will be resized from the original version, so
that the operation won't loose any details.

So moving those RTEmagicP files to typo3temp could be risky.

Maybe we could move the *RTEmagicC* files (the resized ones) to
typo3temp, just like we do on other frontend transformations
(typo3temp/pics/), as those could be recreated from RTEmagicP on demand.

Cheers,
Ernesto