[TYPO3-core] SELECTquery() vs exec_SELECTquery()

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Fri May 26 17:38:57 CEST 2006

Hi folks.

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:41, Stanislas Rolland wrote:
> Martin Kutschker a écrit :
> > Why is the former deprecated?
>
> I thought it was for compatibility with dbal?

The man knows what he says. :)

Indeed, those who rely on getting back a simple string from SELECTquery in a
DBAL-enabled environment may crash hard. In certain situations you get back
an array, containing a string and some field/value pairs for BLOB/CLOB
fields.

exec_SELECTquery takes care of doing the right things with that, but if you
simply put that into $GLOBALS['TYPO3_DB']->sql_query() it will fail (that is
what you would do with it, right?).

Now *that* of course is a shortcoming in the sql_query() method in the DBAL
extension. Would someone add that to the bugtracker, so I don't forget it?
I'm too lazy, err, busy right now.

Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns