[TYPO3-core] content (default) and other static templates

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sun May 21 14:47:03 CEST 2006

Hi Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny wrote:
> I think I have asked before, but now as a core member I feel the "urge"
> to know this better:
>
> How are the current "core static templates" being maintained? [...]

They're not maintained at all, basically. And in the rare event that
something *must* be changed (like changing references from media/ to
typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/media/), the one-line MySQL INSERT statement line
is just changed.

I think the issue of static templates is one that needs to be changed on
the road to 4.5, so it's good you're bringing it up.

> - in HEAD: move all static templates that have been marked as
> "DEPRECATED" for ages now to a system extension (or even an extension in
> TER) that might be installed if one needs them for backwards
> compatibility. They just confuse most first time users when they start
> creating their new templates. Any non-deprecated static template should
> be moved to a sysext instead. And maybe we could then get rid of the
> "core static templates" concept and just stick with "static templates
> (from extensions)" instead?

I agree with you that the "static templates" selector should disappear
in favor of the "static templates (from extensions)" one.

However, when outsourcing all old static templates into an extension, we
need to provide a way for automatically converting old templates to make
use of the new ones stored in the static template extension.

Example:
A template that used the "content(default)" template used to store its
relation in the field "include_static", which is a comma-separated list
of static_template UIDs. If static templates were provided in an
extension in the future, this relation would have to be converted to a
relation stored in the field "include_static_file" having values like
"EXT:old_static_templates/content_default/".
For this automatic conversion, we could use the update wizard of the
install tool or the "UPDATE" functionality of the extension manager that
can be selected in the upper right menu for extensions that use it.

> - in TYPO3-4_0: there are still issues that needs to be fixed
> particularly in "content (default)". So I would like to have that static
> template in some text file with proper line endings so that it is
> maintainable in CVS. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I think we shouldn't put too much effort into maintaining stuff as old
as that, but if we'd find a person who's willing to do it, why not.

cheers,
Ingmar