[TYPO3-core] content (default) and other static templates

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sun May 21 11:42:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

I think I have asked before, but now as a core member I feel the "urge"
to know this better:

How are the current "core static templates" being maintained? I
sometimes need/want to change stuff in "content (default)" to keep it
up-to-date with our current rendering changes.

They are in CVS, I know, but currently as a "one line per template" SQL
dump, which is not really maintainable through CVS (any diff's in one
template is of no use at all).

So if there is current no other way of handling those beasts, I would
propose the following:

- in HEAD: move all static templates that have been marked as
"DEPRECATED" for ages now to a system extension (or even an extension in
TER) that might be installed if one needs them for backwards
compatibility. They just confuse most first time users when they start
creating their new templates. Any non-deprecated static template should
be moved to a sysext instead. And maybe we could then get rid of the
"core static templates" concept and just stick with "static templates
(from extensions)" instead?

- in TYPO3-4_0: there are still issues that needs to be fixed
particularly in "content (default)". So I would like to have that static
template in some text file with proper line endings so that it is
maintainable in CVS. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Cheers,
Ernesto