[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix FE user login for DBAL

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Jun 28 16:44:12 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
>
>>> int default 0
>>> varchar(xxx) default ''
>>>
>>> It should work with all databases including Oracle.
>>

>> No, at least not if the column is still NOT NULL, because '' is NULL
>> in Oracle. :)
>

> So query that uses default value of varchar column above will fail with
> Oracle because Oracle treats '' as null? 8-0 And if you insert empty
> string explicitly in such column, it will fail as well?

This won't work in Oracle:

table t ( x varchar(10) NOT NULL );
insert into t (x) values ('')

This is a possible table definition, but pointless as it won't work either:

table t ( x varchar(10) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL );
insert into t (x) values ('')

Get yourself a copy of Oracle XE (free, but registration required) and see
the madness :-) BTW, I just talked to a dev who thinks this is reasonable...

Masi