[TYPO3-core] RFC: Seperate pages and cache table SQL-wise

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Wed Jun 28 10:56:18 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> I have written that I din't like them. If we start not using JOINs because
> of possible DBAL-mapping then something is wrong.

I agree. It's rather unfortunate that current DBAL is mixing pure
abstraction (=adodb) and the whole split-DB setup. This makes the code
very complex and kills performance because of the huge computational
overhead of stuff like fixing SQL for table X  and splitting joins for
table y.

I hope that for 5+ we'll get a thin adodb layer for everyone, plus the
whole multi-db setup with SQL parsing for those who need it. For the
later, I'd also very much like the possibility to have separate DBs for
read and write operations, so that we can make better use of
master-slave setups.

-1 for a core patch

Cheers,
Michael