[TYPO3-core] RFC: Trivial fix to stddb/tables.php

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Wed Jun 28 09:10:31 CEST 2006

Hi.

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 08:06, Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Karsten Dambekalns <karsten at typo3.org> writes on
> > > So it makes (in theory) a difference. Odd that Mysql reports a
> > > varchar(n) when we have a char(n) in the definition.
> >
> > It doesn't just report one. Read about "silent column specification
> > changes" in the MySQL documentation...
>
> I know about that. Does it really change chars and varchars? I'll hae to
> re-read.

Here you go :). This is the relevant part (taken from the 5.0.x manual, the
manual for 3.23, 4.0 and 4.1 has ~ the same text):

 ----
* VARCHAR columns with a length less than four are changed to CHAR.

* If any column in a table has a variable length, the entire row becomes
variable-length as a result. Therefore, if a table contains any
variable-length columns (VARCHAR, TEXT, or BLOB), all CHAR columns longer
than three characters are changed to VARCHAR columns. This does not affect
how you use the columns in any way; in MySQL, VARCHAR is just a different way
to store characters. MySQL performs this conversion because it saves space
and makes table operations faster. See Chapter 14, Storage Engines and Table
Types.
 ----

The second one is in effect here.

Karsten