[TYPO3-core] Resolving vs. Closing bugs

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Thu Jun 8 10:36:37 CEST 2006

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> This is why the extreme programming [1] technique of unit tests [2] is
> so much better when working on a huge project with a great amount of
> people.

I am familar with this but I doubt it will work for us. Reason is the
same: most people work from time to time.

> Having this from the start is a huge benefit (e.g Gallery2), as
> the workflow is then as follows:
>
> - bug is reported
> - bug can be reproduced in form of a "test-case". the test-case tells us
> "failed"
> - programmer fixes the bug
> - programmer runs the whole test-suite again. This might also catch
> side-effects of the bug fix
> - programmer sees that his new test-case is now "OK", so the bug fix
> worked and nothing else broke.

My experience shows that programmers generally cannot find all possible
side effects. They think in terms of the code. Testers do not know the
code, so they behave as ordinary users and find more problems.

> I know nobody has time to do it, but it would be cool if we could start
> with a basic unit-testing framework for core-developers and then try to
> create test-cases for every new bug reported. Then, if we had more time,
> we could start creating some test-cases for already "stable" parts,
> where we see risks that it breaks in future changes so that we can be
> sure that it will never break.

Such framework already exists (Robert wrote T3Unit and used in in
templavoila) but it requires PEAR&PHP5, so it is limited...

I still think that dedicated testing team is advantage. But unit tests
will help developers a lot.

Dmitry.