[TYPO3-core] Resolving vs. Closing bugs

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Wed Jun 7 13:57:41 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>>
>>> If you're not willing to test it, what good is your review?
>>
>> Well, generally testing is different from writing code. These should
>> be two distinct jobs.
>
> So? I don't see the connection between my remark and your response.

I mean only that testers should be separate from developers.

> What I meant was that running a test that the code submitter knows to
> work proves nothing. The reason the tester must make his own test rig is
> that he finds those cases which might have escaped the coder.

Correct. Tester's job is to check that fix works. He may do a straight
test but may also test it in the way that developer even could not
imagine (offtopic: my wife usually does it like this and finds a lot of
interesting things - she is perfect as tester).

As already was written, most people work on typo3 in their spare time.
Sometimes it is a very little time, so people tend to spend it on fixing
and not on testing fixes of others. This is why I think we need
dedicated testing team. In fact, work of the testing team is not less
but sometimes more important than work of development team. It is a
special responsibility to say "it works".

Dmitry.