[TYPO3-core] SELECTquery() vs exec_SELECTquery()

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Thu Jun 1 13:54:28 CEST 2006

Hi again.

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:41, Stanislas Rolland wrote:
> Martin Kutschker a écrit :
> > Why is the former deprecated?
>
> I thought it was for compatibility with dbal?

Here Stanislas is still right. If you look at the source, you'll notice that
sql_query() *only* uses the _DEFAULT handler, never anything else.

This means that one really should use the exec_*() methods, because as soon as
someone configures more than one handler, using e.g. SELECTquery() and
sql_query() on a table configured for the other handler *will break*. I added
an explanation to the source in the DBAL ext.

So, utlimately -1 for removing the deprecation notice. And although there ae
more +1's by now, I'll raise a veto in any case!

(If this means that some optimized code has to be dumped, then so be it.)

Karsten

PS: I am preparing a patch for the core t3lib_db that changes the code
documentatoin as well, so don't waste time on this...
--
Karsten Dambekalns
TYPO3 Association - Active Member