[TYPO3-core] SVN branches & stuff

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Thu Jul 20 17:07:20 CEST 2006

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Here I agree. I think it was bad to start committing things to both
> branches. It would have been sufficant to commit them to the branch only.
> As far as I can see, _every_ change of TYPO3_4-0 is also in Trunk already.
> So in fact, a merge of TYPO3_4-0 into Trunk would have been much easier.

No. It is easy oly if you have no changes in trunk. If you have changes
there, you can get conflicts during merge, or just merge may go wrong. I
have no large experience with SVN's merge algorithm but I used to work
with Rational ClearCase merge (I was responsible for code merges for two
years). Usually merging changes for approximately 1000 files after 0.5
year of development took about a week, 8 hours per day. Are you ready
for this? :)

> So let's just do it better next time.

I think we did it correctly in 4.0. By committing patches to both
versions we prevent large de-synchronization between branches, prevent
conflict and verify that patches work with newly developed features in
trunk. If we commit only to "old" branch, no one can guarantie
compatibility between new and old code.

> Combining this with your above suggestion: We should not have touched Trunk
> with any bugfixes that went into TYPO3_4-0. Instead, I would simply have
> merged all differences between TYPO3_4-0-0 and TYPO3_4-0-1 (these are both
> tags inside the branch) back into Trunk.

Disagree due to my past experience.

Dmitry.