[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix indexing of files that contain specialcharacters

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Jan 27 18:56:27 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> I don't know if it's possible to detect if the file system is UTF-8 (with
> PHP). I can imagign that via mounts you can have access to all kind of
> file systems which different charsets (FAT, NTFS, ext3, NFS, etc).
>
> You can try to detect if the file name in question is UTF-8, by testing if
> it only contains valid UTF-8 sequences.

What I noticed is that the fileadmin module displays the names always
correctly. Since that module does no conversion, the solution is probably
really to treat it as ISO-8859-1 and utf8_encode() it.

When reading the PHP documentation, I've noticed that utf8_encode _always_
encodes the string from ISO-8859-1. Is this really the true? If so, how are
other countries (non-latin1) utf8-encoding their data?

I'm curious why PHP seems not to care about them?!

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out