[TYPO3-core] RFC: Undo/History completely revised (#1650)

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Jan 18 22:53:47 CET 2006

Hi Sebastian,

feedback is based on patch 5.

> History/Undo completely revised! I did a complete rewrite of the UI, and
> it is now more oriented to common history views.

In short: It is great!

>       * added possibility in TCEMain to undelete record
>       * last changes are on top now
>       * possibility to sum up changes
>       * revert all changes, single records or single fields in single
>         records
>       * revert INSERTS / DELETES!
>       * set default timespan before deleting history entries to 30 days
>       * Moved history/undo to first level clickmenu
>       * show record-history on page-level as well!

All fine.

> What was dropped:
>       * implementation of "history.keepEntries" - not needed IMHO

OK. We discussed this and I agree that it is needed to be dropped.

>       * "save snapshot" feature, as it lead to an inconsistent DB.
>         Versions are a much better way for this than snapshots.

There was such a feature?! Never heard of it ;-)

> DOCUMENTATION
> TYPO3 CORE API:
> TCEMain -> processCMDmap
> added "undelete"

Will do as soon as you have committed the change.

> TESTING
> =======
> Many of you already had the chance to test this feature and give some
> feedback about it. Thanks again to everybody who helped me improve it
> again and again during the last 2 months!
>
> If you want to try it out, use http://testing.garbage-group.de/typo3
> Login: coredev / t3rocks
> I suggest using the page "New features" -> "History/Undo" for testing.

Just tested it locally and on your server. As it seems, the images are
missing in the patch but they seem to look nice! :-)

About the "Mark this state" checkbox:
- If possible, please chang it into a real <input type="check"> element
- On the bottom of the history page, there is a message "In the Difference
column..." - please add a little explanation about the meaning of this
column, too! :-)

Bug discovered?
On your installation I wanted to revert my own change which I made 7 days
ago (changing the title of page 19). However, as it seems it has no effect!

Wish: In case you don't do it yet: It would be nice if you reload the
nav_frame after changing something in the "pages" table.

Besides this: I think it is a great feature, but the patch is too big for a
simple review. So I trust you that everything is fine.

+1

However: Please ask for Kaspers final feedback because this touches the
backwards compatibility.

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out