[TYPO3-core] RFC: Path disclosure vulnerability fix (#2248)

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sat Jan 14 03:07:26 CET 2006

Hi guys,

This is a CVS patch request.

Type: security fix

Branch: TYPO3-4.0

When you call certain scripts from different locations than normal, they
disclose the full system path of TYPO3 to you.

Example: http://typo3.org/typo3/t3lib/thumbs.php

This patch fixes the path disclosure in t3lib/config_default.php and
also adds a check to showpic.php checking if the typo3conf directory
exists. The same is also done in index_ts.php, so I think it should be
in showpic.php, too.

There are a lot more path disclosure vulnerabilities in TYPO3, but they
only work if PHP error messages are configured to be output to the user
- that's the server admin's fault, I'd say.

BT Reference:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2248

cheers,
Ingmar