[TYPO3-core] PHP requirement version for TYPO3 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Jan 1 22:12:30 CET 2006

Hello Franz,

> I think that for TYPO3 4.0 the minimum requirement can be PHP 4.3.0.
> It is time to use the new possibilities offered by PHP 4.3.0.

Well, the point is: We don' use these "new" possibilities! So why depend on a
version if we could easily provide compatibility for older versions? There is
no gain for us after all.

My suggestion:

- Fix the mysql_real_escape_string issue by checking if the function exists
(and use the old behaviour otherwise)
- Stick to PHP 4.1.2 for now
- Raise the minimal PHP version to 5.x with TYPO3 4.5 or 5.0

Michael