[TYPO3-core] PHP requirement version for TYPO3 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Jan 1 21:25:08 CET 2006

Hi folks,

I hope you started well into the year Null-Sex (sorry, this is German ;-))

Sebastian and I noticed a problem with the mysql_real_escape_string feature
that was introduced by Masi some weeks ago.

The function [1] depends on PHP 4.3.0, and although this sounds like a
logical requirement, it was in fact the first function that depends on PHP
4.3.0 after all.

Before, the minimum requirement was/is still PHP 4.1.2 that could be used by
some yet-not-updated Debian Woody servers.

Someone wrote about the mysql_real_escape_string issue on the German mailing
list, so it seems some people noticed the problem already.

Another reason for thinking about that is bug #2145 [2] which depends on a
parameter that did not exist before PHP 4.3.0.

So what we need to decide is wether we want to keep up the 4.1.2
compatibility and revert the above change (or make it version-dependent) or
alternatively communicate PHP 4.3.0 as the minimal required PHP version.

Opinions, please. Thanks.

Regards, michael

[1] http://ch2.php.net/mysql_real_escape_string
[2] http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2145